6 GUIDELINES TO EPIC FOLKTALE WRITING



The best times in my childhood were the seasons when my parents took us visiting to my grandmother (Biggy) in the village. She will occupy our evenings by the camp fire with the most amazing tribal stories ever. As I grew bigger and became interest in story telling through creative writing, I always wanted to do it just the way my Biggy did. Believe me that is easier said than done, a lot of the time, the beauty of the tale gets lost in translation. I kept practicing over time and I think I have caught a little of the secret to translate a folktale into an epic write up. Here are 6 principal guidelines that I chant like a mantra in my head when I engage in writing folktales:

·It must be based from an actual existing tale: This might seem obvious but a lot of people miss the point. Get a story that has been pass down from generations. It might be myth or real but others should have heard about it or can make connections to it.

·Study other documented versions of the story: Read past writings or books about the selected tale. If not popular or an original, check around, especially in the village or town where it originated (my village in Cameroon for example is a great research area for me). Most at times you don’t even need to go there. Google people!!

·  Find your angle: Tell the tale from your own direction. Find your angle and expand on it to make it more interesting. You might want to focus on a little known character of the tale and make this character the star of your own depiction of the tale.

· Include your own twist to the tale: How many times have you watched or read Hansel and Gretel? Each writer gives his/her own unique perspective to the story. These added twist makes your own narration of the tale fresh, interesting and different. Think out of the box, think creative. Like how the movie, HANSEL AND GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS, added a twist to the already classic story.

·Use a narrative voice: Are you an amateur writer and cannot construct proper and interesting dialogue? Just tell the tale!! Write as though you are narrating the events of the story to an interested friend. High light on the parts that you feel will cause wide eye stares and put suspense in the narration where you yourself shiver. In fact tell yourself a good tale in writing.

· Check for spelling and punctuation errors: No No, don’t roll your eyes!! This is a legitimate concern and one which I face every day. It happens to the best of us. Always go through you write up and have a couple of people go through for you. This makes a big difference to your write up.

I hope these tips help you and you can share to other who you think can find this useful..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 WAYS TO GET THE BEST OUT OF YOUR “AFCON” 2016 EXPERIENCE

Campfire

SHE, In Africa